Thursday, February 5, 2015

Three from Richard Adams

I thought long and hard about which Richard Adams novel to add
to my list and I came to the conclusion that I couldn't leave any of these three wonderful books out.
When I first discovered the writings of Richard Adams I was around 13 years old walking around John Wanamaker's awesome book section
while my mother shopped. I was perusing all the books when I saw one with a Rabbit on the cover and a really cool title - Watership Down.
Born in 1920 in Berkshire, England , Richard Adams is 94 yrs old as of this writing and has written many books, articles, and fables but his work in fiction, mostly dealing with animals, has enchanted so many adoring readers.
Adams is a true wordsmith, his sentences are memorable and often quite long; he is truly a master of the English language. His major fiction novels are:
a. Watership Down          (1972)
b. Shardik                        (1974)
c. The Plague Dogs          (1977)
d. Girl on a Swing            (1980)
e. Maia                            (1984)
f. Traveller                       (1988)
All of these novels are excellent but I want to add the top three because these are truly masterworks.
Maia is a huge novel which is actually a prequel to the Shardik epic and is a remarkable book in it's own right.
Girl on a swing is Adam's ghost story; an eerie page turner with crisp, tight prose. Very enjoyable novel.
Traveller is a story of the Civil War told by Robert E Lee's celebrated horse, Traveller.

WATERSHIP DOWN

Watership Down is a wonderful novel. All the Characters are indeed rabbits, but this book is full of trials and triumph, love,compassion ,romance; a true celebration of life. This is the first novel by Richard Adams and it is beautifully written and so very moving. It is the story how humans are building over a herd of rabbits warren and how they must band together and travel to find a safe place to live. Led by the remarkable main Character, Hazel. The group of rabbits depicted in this book are magical and unforgettable. They go through dire struggles; face betrayal and danger as they try to survive and flourish in a hard world. I truly love this novel and I am sure you will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment